✳️ disclaimer: This post is primarily meant for my church members, however, it would also apply across most ministerial lines. I pray that you receive it in the spirit and the heart in which it was written.
I have not been in the ministry very long by most standards: Officially, I am in my sixth year on staff with the local church; unofficially, maybe it’s a little longer. But even in my relative short tenure, there is one thing that I know for sure: It Is Time To Raise The Bar in terms of church leadership.
With so many of our congregations dwindling down to miniscule ratios of leaders to congregants; most are inclined to be satisfied with the status quo of leadership or to just be happy that the “lights are still on”. Yet, this is exactly why many of our church families find themselves in trouble to start with.
It’s not that we have BIG issues with leadership in our church (quite the opposite, actually), but the (minor) warning signs are there. And since the responsibility starts here, with me, I consider this article a little bit of a self-assessment of sorts.
We must do a better job of developing leaders and holding them accountable.
This is so important to the future health of our church body. I ask you to consider joining me on this journey of improvement. It will not all be pleasant, but if our desire is to honor the Lord with our service, it will be worth it.
Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men, knowing that you will receive a reward of an inheritance from the Lord. You serve the Lord Christ. – Colossians 3:23-24
From the bottom of my heart, I believe there are two areas that we should focus on:
- Many of you, as leaders, are NOT being discipled properly. And it breaks my heart.
- We have two built in opportunities each week for discipleship: Sunday School & Wednesday Adult Bible Study.
- As a leader, if you are not attending either one, you need to be setting time aside to study and discuss with other christians so that your growth will not be hindered.
- This is essential, to your growth and the growth of our church.
- Another area of concern is personal holiness: how much of your life are you giving to God?
- Does the Lord have 100%
- Or is there an area of your life that you are holding back from the Lord; 99.9% is not good enough.
- Is there anything in your life that violates the Word of the Lord?
- Anything that is outside of the tenants of the Baptist Faith & Message?
- Anything that does not agree with our Church Covenant?
- Anything that has the appearance of evil?
- Especially as leaders, we need to be examining this area of our life on a regular basis… and we need to be open to others holding us accountable.
As your pastor, I vow to be more vigilant to help in these areas. I look forward to seeing how the Lord is going to work as we focus on these 2 very important areas of our church and individual lives. In the end, I believe the Lord will honor our efforts.
I love you all – Pastor John